Agile teams should be empowered and self-organized, based on the Agile Principles. It means that they should find their own way instead of following orders.
A complete self-organization is possible only with a flat organization such as that of Scrum. However, we should still give more authority to the teams in PRINCE2 Agile.
The original Manage by Exception Principle is about delegating power to the lower levels of the project organization; however, the level of authority is up to the management team, and can be very low if they decide so. Even though it limits the project. In PRINCE2 Agile, the level of authority delegated should be higher.
The Link between Project and Delivery Levels
There's a Team Manager role in the delivery level who reports to the Project Manager and leads a team. This is problematic when Scrum is used in the delivery level, because Scrum is flat and no one can become a "team leader" or "team manager".
PRINCE2 Agile suggest using one of the following, based on the project environment:
- There's no Team Manager and the project manager is directly in touch with the whole team(s). To keep it consistent with PRINCE2, we can imagine that the Project Manager is also holding the Team Manager role.
- Assign one of the team members to be the contact point with the Project Manager, but do not have the Team Manager title.
- Assign one of the team members as the Team Manager. PRINCE2 Agile suggest the Scrum Master, and also accepts the Product Owner.
PRINCE2 Agile states that these three alternative are presenting different levels of Agility, with the first option as the most Agile one, and the third option as the least.
PRINCE2 Agile frequently mentions the Scrum roles as if they are the default roles in a PRINCE2 Agile environment (e.g. Scrum Master and Product Owner). However, since PRINCE2 Agile is supposed to support all Agile delivery methods, it doesn't accept them as the official additional roles, and instead defines the following:
- Customer Subject Matter Expert
- Customer Representative
- Supplier Subject Matter Expert
- Supplier Representative
- Delivery Team Quality Assurance
These roles are less or more isolated in the manual and are not connected to the descriptions. The normal responsibilities tables in the original PRINCE2 manual are also not updated to include these new roles.
There are small changes in the original PRINCE2 roles; usually about the fact that they should be focused on the high-level aspects and empower the developers. More details can be found in the following pages:
- Project Board
- Senior Supplier
- Senior User
- Project Manager
- Team Manager
- Project Assurance
- Change Authority
- Project Support
- Organization Theme at PRINCE2 wiki